Tuesday 3 July 2012

Term Three already

After such a wonderful holiday it was also time to come home to our cosy apartment in Serangoon. We've put the rug on the floor and everyday it reminds us of our time in Istanbul. 


The regular exercise program has to be resumed with no time wasted as we are both carrying a little 'tukish delight' on the waistlines! How does that happen even when you walk everywhere? We had a full day to relax and get ready for the return to the working week. Some of us achieved this more easily than others - Eric really struggled this first week but I think after a good sleep-in today he is back on top of it. Yesterday he had to go back to the hospital for follow-up blood tests and the terrific news is that both his cholesterol levels are in the optimal zones and his triglycerides are too. So we celebrated, sensibly of course, when I joined him for lunch at Nex. On the way home we noticed a new reflexology centre has opened in our little shopping strip across the road so I decided to support them as my feet are sore after pounding all those cobblestones in Turkey, or maybe it is just that I am wearing work shoes again. Anyway, Fu got to work on my feet and despite her limited English and my non-existent Mandarin I could tell she was very impressed with my bunions and giggled every time I squirmed in the chair. The harder I tried not to squirm the harder she worked! I've just finished reading a book that features a red room of pain, I have now found the blue room of pain! But it feels so good when she is finished, I'm going to have to have more of this. 
We postponed the walkers meet to an evening one, or only Peter and I would have been participating. As it turned out there were still only four who met at our Serangoon MRT and we showed them our local bush walk trail. 

We finished at our place for a refreshing drink and then dined at our local hawker stall. Peter has a new plan for the trek in Nepal that wends its way to Gudel but returns by a different track that is longer but gentler. All this to try to accommodate me. There is also the option of an extended walk for those that want it to a peak at about 4000m from which you can see the tallest of the Himalayas and the worlds deepest valley. My local GP will give me a syndvisc injection in Nov so I have run out of excuses, we are committing now and so will begin the fortnightly hikes up Singapore's tallest hill and opt for flights of stairs instead of escalators in preparation. Anyone reading this want to join us?  We'd love to share the experience. The plan is to meet in Kathmandu on 5th Dec and return there on 14th (I think). 3 days walk in, 2 nights in the village, 4 days walk out. So you could be back home for Christmas. As this is a trek to the village where Peter raises money for the local school, it is nowhere near the tourist trails. Once in a lifetime opportunity!
So remote Kathmandu isn't on the same map

This morning I have been for a Tai Chi Meridian Reflexology session at the centre in our basement. I've walked passed this many times and wondered what goes on inside, behind the windows pasted with posters of the body's meridians and reflexology points, but so often they are not operating when I am interested. It reminds me of Yansie's TCM centre in Darwin where both Eric and I had acupuncture and cupping a few times. Returning from the pool today they were open and had a free appointment. I have now discovered the green room of pain! But afterwards I feel lighter, my eyes are brighter and I have more movement in my neck and shoulders. I bet I'll be revisiting here after Nepal in Dec.

No comments:

Post a Comment