Monday 7 January 2013

One week down, 10 to go

NYD, a very slow start to the day but then we had a family from Darwin Top End HHH visiting which was the motivation for getting out of bed after a late night celebrating the end of 2012. They were on their way home from a fabulous 2 weeks in Florida and NY. I finished off the latest sewing project, a dress in a knit fabric. Remind me never to tempt this again, while quick to make because the edges don't fray I just hate the way the material keeps falling away from you as you try to sew a straight line. But in the end the result was good and I've wore it to work, best thing of all it needs no ironing!

Back to watching my one and only weekly tv program. It's 'Offspring' with Asher Keddie in the lead role but a lot has happened since I last saw an episode and was a bit confusing this week. It is also a favourite of Nepal trekker Ann, from Auckland, so good to know a quality program from Aus is being exported across the Tasman.  By coincidence her bike trip in India ended successfully and she arrived here for a final 2 weeks before heading home. She will stay with us for a few of those days before Luke and Tahlia arrive. 

Work started very smoothly, all the new recruits at both our branches seem to be settling in well and the kids are happy to be back. Eric has had no issues as the new Administrative Head at Punggol, everything falling into place though nothing where he expects to find it so spending a bit of time sorting that out. I just love the fact that I know most of the children and they are mostly excited to be back in my classes. What a difference to this time last year when I was reluctant to start casual conversation with them in case I couldn't understand them or they couldn't understand me. We had a lot of awkward moments as I recall. I only had 2 boys this week who were initially sobbing, but we were able to settle them in. I'm sure there were at least 10 last year. We have two new teachers at Kovan, Kathy from Auckland and Nicole from Hallifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. 

On Monday the walkers took a stroll through Bishan Park to Pierce Reservoir and returned. I had a swim instead and then met them for lunch at the hawkers stall by Bishan Park. Ann had just got off the plane from Deli but joined them happily to retell the adventures in Nepal. It was good to talk with Bev too who has just walked the Alpine Trail in the High Plains in Victoria. By the look of the weather reports from Victoria lately this is the only region where you want to be out walking. What a scorching time you Vics are having! 


 


That evening we met up again at Vivo City to see Les Miserables (the movie) which Eric and I loved. I actually know more details of the story now than ever before through the clearer delivery of song lines. Guess that's a difference in focus for a singer and an actor.  I was expecting to cringe a bit when actors like Russell Crowe or Anne Hathaway sang those powerful solos but they carried them all off really well in our opinion. loved seeing samantha barks playing Eponine, she sings the role in the 25th anniversary concert which Eric was given a copy of as a parting gift from Humpty Doo Sch. Didn't get to sit in recliners with blankets like last week though. Afterwards we shared a meal at The Queen and Mangosteen Restaurant  on the harbour front overlooking Sentosa. A fabulous spot to eat, with fee fireworks about 9pm at the Crane Dance (though not the best angle to view, apparently you should get to the wine bar half way across the boardwalk for that). Be sure to remind us to take you there when you visit. Food was fabulous but camera work lousy. 




One thing that wasn't to plan was that the cap that Fabulous Phil (the dentist in Butterworth 1986) put over the gold filling in my front tooth came away just before the movie. Now I'm off to the dentist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment