Tuesday 24 February 2015

Raffle winner

Arriving home from that lovely few days in Darwin last week, via Bali so we could arrive on Friday, we went straight to bed for a decent sleep. By the time we got to work on Saturday we were fully recharged. Luckily I had left a red shirt hanging on the wardrobe door so I wouldn't forget to wear it on Saturday for Chinese New Year which continues to be celebrated for up to two weeks. The staff at Kovan looked resplendent in their outfits featuring red but apparently the leader at Punggol forgot all about it. Strange how you don't notice these things at 7:30 in the morning across the breakfast table. Well, it is the year of the goat.

After nearly 15 months of weekly raffle draws I finally won the prize when the draw took place while we were in Melbourne for Anna's wedding. To prove it wasn't a fluke I managed to score second prize this week. The drought has broken and I mean to make up for all those lean months! Only three weeks to go until holidays at the end of term. Most of the usual drinking holes we frequent on a Sunday night to celebrate the end of the week are closed at the moment for CNY so we just ate at the Kovan Grill with Peter and Heather. 

On Monday Eric joined the walkers at Bukit Timah to walk to McRitchie while I went to Tan Tock Seng Hospital for the pre-op check up. I expected to be about an hour but it turned out to be a lot longer since they had not received some paperwork from the Health Insurance Co that takes care of me. Eventually it was all sorted but a waste of a day off. 



 At one stage the receptionist was on two lines at once trying in vain to sort it out. 

In the evening several MAE staff members enjoyed many and varied martinis at the Mandarin Oriental in Marina Square as a social club event. Apparently the Death by Chocolate martini and the Lychitini were the crowd favourites but I chose not to go after that long day. Eric joined them but stuck to beer usual. After happy hour they moved on to Gluttons Corner for dinner. Say no more! Next up is a 10 pin bowling challenge at Jurong. 



Mandarin Oriental in the foreground












To improve my mood I went for a swim on Tuesday morning and then got out the sewing machine to be creative. While we were in Melbourne earlier in the month Beth gave me some lovely pieces of material she has been saving for a long time with the intention of one day sewing but never finding the time. Now with the busy move of house she has given them to me which I really appreciate. The first piece was quite small so I had to be quite creative just to get a pattern to fit and was left with no more than a handful of scraps. I thank Mum for teaching us to cut very frugally when we were kids. 


Worth the trouble though for these colours and design. Quite like a batik.

No comments:

Post a Comment